Friday, August 5, 2011

Vintage Postcards

I'm an accidental collector of vintage postcards. It started when I saw a few old picture postcards of places that hold special meaning from childhood vacations or favorite road trips. Then I began looking for vintage holiday cards to use in collage and craft projects.
Eventually there were enough cards that they demanded organization...a wooden box and dividers were added. I wonder if that's when casual purchases become a collection...when they finally require a home of their own?

 Here are a few vintage cards that I found at the flea market this week...none were over $1.00.
Maybe I'll hang this one in my office?

 This one reminded me of my sister, Nancy, the inspiration for my blog.

And how cute is this one? The dog is painting a portrait of the cat!

 I loved the color and graphics on this card...

 And the Victorian purse and greeting on this one.

I can't resist cards with children on them ...

Especially when they are signed from grandmother...in 1906. I love reading the long ago messages on the old cards...written long before women made friends through blogging!

You can never have enough vintage postcards to cut and glue for craft projects...

And their graphic quality makes them perfect in vignettes for home decor.

I even learned a new word tonight while preparing this post..."deltiology"... the collecting of postcards.

Who knew???

This post is linked to:
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
Alphabet Thursday at Jenny Matlock
Flaunt It Friday at Chic On A Shoestring
Show & Share Day at Just A Girl

12 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I only have a few vintage post cards but I do love them. Your new additions are so cute...my fav is the dog painting the cat...awwww!

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Cheryl, I guess that makes me a deltiologist as I also collect post cards. I've saved every post card received since I was a child plus have found others over the years. Mine are all travel ones from all over the world. I love your collection of sweet artistic ones. I wish you a wonderful weekend. Blessings, Pamela

AuntLou said...

That was so much fun I thought I would say so! :)

Ann said...

Oh I love postcards. All the ones you purchased this week are great. I need the first one in my craft room.
Ann

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I adore vintage postcards for all the same reasons you do..I have made pillows and christmas ornaments from the graphics. I keep mine in a vintage desk...each cubbie is for Valentines, Christmas, French, Thanksgiving etc. keeps them organinzed!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Isn't it amazing how our collections seem to grow without our awareness - until we have amassed quite a number? It seems everything I collect has gone that way. ;)

Your postcards are delightful, Cheryl! And, like you, those with images of children ALWAYS capture my heart.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

★Carol★ said...

I just started collecting holiday ones last year, and I love that they're usually pretty cheap, and they don't take up alot of room. You have a wonderful collection!

lissa said...

great collection. I wouldn't might getting these in the mail.

have a lovely day.

Teresa said...

I love your collection! I have several vintage cards from my ancestors.

Jenny said...

Your sister sounds like she was a lovely soul. The picture of her made me smile.

Your postcards are perfectly wonderful. I'm impressed with your clever idea on organizing them.

Do you have an etsy shop? You have such charming things in your sidebar?

Thanks for linking up to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "P".

I enjoyed my visit here.

A+

Catherine said...

They are all so cute - and you have such great talent and creativity!
-Catherine

Unknown said...

These are some amazing postcards you have in your collection :) I've tried collecting postcards for a while but I just didn't have the space to store them so I ended up giving them away...