Monday, February 20, 2012

Tupperware...A Collectible Now?

Boy, do I feel old! 

 I just realized that Tupperware is now considered "vintage".



According to a "What's It Worth"" article in Country Living, this set of Tupperware nesting bowls with lids (which I think we all had at some point) is now worth $45.00 as a collectible...if I'd only known!


Saturday I stopped in at a local flea market and lo and behold...a whole booth full of "vintage" Tupperware...


Recognize any of these oldies but goodies? I sure do!


I think I spy a "cracker keeper" and "lettuce keeper" in this photo...we all thought we needed those back in the day, didn't we?


And how about the ever-handy "Deviled Egg Tray"? This one was priced at $10.00 at the flea market.


This Tupperware postcard from the Tupper Diva website features the Egg Tray ready to party...


When I got home from the flea market, I rummaged around in the back of the pantry closet and found that I still had  my very own Deviled Egg Tray. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I must have actually purchased one at some point...handy for those deviled eggs I make about once every five years. What was I thinking?


And who can forget molded jello salads...a hit at every dinner party in the 60's and early 70's.  My favorite at the time was lime jello with cottage cheese and chopped walnuts.


Yup...I found the jello mold in my pantry too. I've lost all but one of the interchangeable designs for the top but otherwise it's still in pretty good shape.


And who could forget the excitement of the neighborhood Tupperware party? Maybe as young mothers we were just desperate for any excuse to get out of the house. At these events we played silly games (I hated those) and then sold plastic bowls to one another. One question: Were we CRACKED???


If you already had plenty of bowls, you could always find decorative accessories for your table at a Tupperware party. Remember this Sputnik-inspired salt and pepper set? Looking back, I wonder why the kids weren't afraid that it would blast off for galaxies unknown in the middle of dinner.


Speaking of Tupperware parties, do you remember that women actually dressed up to go to them?

1950's...

1960's...


2012...We women have finally figured out how to party...

We can attend each other's blog parties in our pajamas, no purchase required. And if we find ourselves craving deviled eggs in front of the computer?  Forget the Tupperware...a paper plate will do just fine!

Do you remember Tupperware parties?


p.s.  Can you tell that it's school vacation week? This teacher/blogger finally has time to write some of the many posts I've been carrying around in my head for awhile!

 
Linking up tonight to:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Through Life

13 comments:

Jane said...

What a fun post! I really enjoyed it. Let's see....I have the lettuce keeper and a few cereal bowls but no deviled egg holder or jello mold. I'm not sure this is one collectible that I'm going to run out and buy :)
Jane

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

I have to say that i have a good deal of those Tupperware pieces! I have the deviled Egg container and still use it!!
I love tupperware and many of my original pieces from 34 years ago are still in good shape!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Claudia said...

I do remember them very well! My mom loved Tupperware and we had a lot of it. I don't think I have one piece but I must have at one point.

That lettuce keeper brings back memories!

Now you've made me hungry for deviled eggs!

xo
Claudia

AuntLou said...

Hey! I still love my Tupperware! --OK, not all of it, but some is in every day use. My colander is sadly stained (what did I put in there?) but I use it several times a week. I did love the molded Jello. I also disliked the party games, but they came in handy when I had to do an ice-breaker, one day.

Grammy Goodwill said...

I loved Tupperware parties, esp for the game prizes. My son used the melon baller as a play phone when he was a toddler. Now my daughter uses my jello dishes for snacks for my granddaughter. I bought 2 more of the deviled egg carriers to add to the one I already had. I always take them to our tailgates and family dinners. Oh, and the cracker saver still holds my son's blocks. (He's now 33.)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This cracked me up! I have some Tupperware I still use but most has been put in a large box somewhere in the basement. Funny but true, I sold Tupperware in the early 80's. I wasn't very good at it, lol, but had fun and yes bad games and all I did it! I think my favorite piece is my colander! hugs, Linda

Karen said...

Who would have thunk it??? Tupperware vintage?? Amazing! I need to start digging through boxes. There is one bowl that I still use... in fact I blogged about it two years ago. It's the extra large gold bowl. It's traveled everywhere with me, including two moves to Mexico. So fun...
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I have quite a few pieces of Tupperware.....in my booth!!! It's very practical and sells well. The older, pastel-colored pieces seem to be the most desired. I can't seem to keep the Cake Carriers in stock.

Pamela Gordon said...

I love this post! I sure do remember Tupperware parties and I'm sure I bought at least one item every time. I still have the cracker keeper and us it, and the jello mold set is still intact and used about once every 2 years. The rest has gone to thrift stores for someone to collect as a vintage item just like the Pyrex bowl sets! Oh, I still have my free gift for winning a game - the orange pealer. Enjoy your school break. Hugs, Pamela

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Now you've got me craving MY favorite jello salad of lemon jello, cream cheese, cottage cheese, celery, and pecans. Yum!

I still think everybody should have the supersize bowl with lid. I use it all the time. And I still have the lettuce keeper. :@

thistlewoodfarm said...

I love this post! I remember my mother having tupperware parties....now we have Lia Sophia. Maybe I should start collecting now, to get a jump start! LOL!

blessings,
karianne

Anonymous said...

I used to hide when I thought someone was going to ask me to another Tupperware party!

At my first one, I had a lot of trouble "burping" the bowls. The leader got so frustrated, she said I couldn't buy it if I couldn't burp it! My sister was with me and whispered, "Great! Now we have an excuse for not attending any more of these."

Unknown said...

I just saw this post now, 2016, and had to laugh because I SELL TUPPERWARE, LOL!
YOU WANT A GOOD LAUGH, VIEW MY CATALOGS, lots of blasts from the past. If you want to contact me to order, that would be great, but I really just want to share a chuckle with you.

My contact is: 917-941-3125

http://my.tupperware.com/Resource/DbFile/mid-february-2016-brochure-us.pdf

http://issuu.com/mytwpage/docs/winter-spring-2016-catalog-us